23 posts tagged dior
- Dior Haute Couture
- Paris Couture Week // Spring 2013
Living in Canada this time of year can be unbearably depressing, especially when temperatures are reaching -26°C with the windchill. It gets to the point where it is so cold that the idea of Spring seems like a distant untouchable memory.
Thanks to Christian Dior Creative Director, Raf Simons, I have now been given a tiny smidgen of hope in the form of his 2013 Spring Haute Couture collection for the label. A lush garden lined with topiary trees acted as a runway for the models as they weaved their way through, many with bare shoulders and legs - a far cry from the snow covered Tuileries Gardens outside. Raf takes on Dior’s mythical femininity and pushes it further to the point that Spring is virtually bursting at the seams.
The iconic bar jacket made a brief appearance paired with slim, satin cigarette pants. Pastel hues and pops of neon green and pink were juxtaposed heavier black pieces as seen on the oversized dark peplum dresses that were paired with neon tights. Voluminous pieces were reeled in by controlled architectural structure and asymmetrical hemlines while others were left loose and rushed.
So thank you Raf. Tomorrow when I wake up and face the coldest day of the year thus far I will close my eyes and imagine your floral confections and know that Spring is but three months away.
UpClose: details at Christian Dior Haute Couture Spring 2013 at Paris Couture Week.
Backstage: at Christian Dior Haute Couture Spring 2013 runway show at Paris Couture Week.
- Christian Dior
- Pre-Fall 2013
Pre-fall collections as a whole tend to be a test, a run through of ideas, trends and styles that make way for designers full scale fall collections. To me they are always an exciting treat to wet the whistles of the masses until we get our first glimpses of what we are to be shown in February. I also love that all of the looks are expertly styled and executed and neatly laid out into look books to be fawned over.
For Raf Simons first pre-fall 2013 collection for Christian Dior he did not disappoint in making me very excited to see his presentation during this coming fashion week.
With a fresh take on the brands notable sophistication and this seasons suit trend he manages to stay true to the Dior name. The menswear-inspired silhouettes are tailored close to the body and tapered at the foot for a streamlined look and maintaining that feminine feel. Juxtaposed he also featured wide legged, loose pants but both the streamlined and loose pants were pull together by the signature Dior Bar jacket.
Some looks were given a fun edge by artistically exaggerating draping and swathing of grey flannel around the waists and dropping to the ground and paired with pant suits and simple tee’s. A based colour palette of black and white was used with pops of coral, grey, dark indigo and olive green while infusing traditional fall patterns of houndstooth, cross-hatched tweed and Prince de Galle.
Overall there seems to be a distinctive change in the Dior house brought upon by Raf, the feminine line which is often dominated by pretty cocktail and evening dresses has been given its edge and seen the light anew in a modern woman.
Red Carpet Fashion: The 70th Golden Globe Awards
Last night was The 70th annual Golden Globe Awards, which fashion aside tends to be my favourite awards show of the season. I loved the more relaxed vibe with the round tables and drinks flowing. Overall the celebrities seem to be having a lot more fun, this could be due to the flowing drinks but nevertheless. The year The Golden Globe Awards completely knocked out the competition and was most definitely the best one in years, this was largely in part due to hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler who were funny, quick and a joy to watch. Honourable humorous mentions go to Sasha Baron Cohen who with a drink in hand while he dissed his co stars and Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell’s bit as well as Jennifer Lawrence and Adele’s adorable and funny winning speeches.
Now to the part I always love the most, the beautiful gowns of the Globes. Here are my picks for the ladies that stood out the most this year in a good way (excluding my pick for best dressed of the evening).
- Dons a Christian Dior Fall 2012 Couture gown which is not surprising as she is the new face of Dior. Her red carpet hued gown was accented by simply a metallic belt and box clutch.
- Choose a gown from Oscar de la Renta’s Pre-Fall 2013 collection and paired it with a Harry Winston diamond bib necklace and Roger Vivier ‘Pochette Prisme Poodle’ clutch. Unlike Nicole Richie, Jessica managed to make matching her makeup to her gown not look weird. I could have done without the bling but overall she looked stunning.
- Wore a nude, semi-sheer embellished Miu Miu dress paired with Prada pointy toed pumps and a Prada satin clutch. I think that Kerry may officially be one of my favourite woman to watch on the red carpet this year after all of her fantastic looks during her promo tour for ‘Django Unchained’. I cannot wait to see what she wear to the Oscars.
- Now, a lot of people were not a fan of this floral print Carolina Herrera Pre-Fall 2013 ball gown but I for one think it is simply amazing. The fit makes her tiny waist look amazing, the ski blue hue against her skin is beautiful and her fishtail braid over her shoulder compliments the look perfectly.
- Wore a floor length Givenchy Couture custom-made gown in a nude hue with sheer lace panels paired with long light waves and simple makeup. I love how ethereal she looks after all of the edgy dramatic appearances she has made as of late.
- I am not the biggest fan of Anne, but when it comes to the red carpet she rarely disappoints. This year she wore a winter white Chanel Couture piece from the Spring 2006 collection. Of wearing Chanel she was quoted as saying that she “feels like herself” in Chanel. Must be nice Anne.
- Finally Tina Fey has brought it and looks 100% put together for a red carpet and when it counted to most. The brunette half of the hosting team for this years show wore a custom L’Wren Scott cream silk dress with black Chantilly lace embroidery and a scalloped hemline. The look was accessorized by a Roger Vivier clutch and Ferragamo black pumps.
I have received a lot of messages over the past year asking about what I wear makeup wise and what I would recommend. I plan on eventually making a video and showing you guys how I wear my day to day makeup etc but for now here is a little peek at my current day to day.
Not pictured above: I solely use my Naked Palette by Urban Decay with any old liquid liner. I also darken my very pale eyebrows with Tarte’s EmphasEYES pencil.
Picture above: NARS ‘Orgasm” blush, Dior Lip Glow colour reviver balm, Benefit BADgal lash, andL’ORÉAL’S BB cream in ‘Fair’. I swear by L’ORÉAL’S BB cream and have managed to get a lot of my friends onto it as well.
Photographer Tim Walker and director Jonas Åkerlund have teamed up with model Daphne Groeneveld for the latest campaign for Dior’s iconic fragrance, Dior Addict. Inspired by Brigitte Bardot’s role in And God Created Woman, Daphne gets in touch with her inner sex kitten and exudes a carefree sensuality while charming every man along the way throughout the images and film shot in St. Tropez.
Make sure to check out the adorable film below:
Red Carpet Fashion: every year the red carpet I look forward to the most is for the annual Costume Institute Gala at the MET, which this year honours Elsa Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada and the parallels between them and a hypothetical conversation between the two designers. The gala entitled “Impossible Conversations,” attracted designers, musicians, models and actors alike all dressed in the most beautiful designs by the industries best.
Now onto the visual candy - my picks for the best dressed among the ladies. Keep in mind I am fickle and have not seen every look as of yet so I will add to this later tonight. Oddly enough save for a few disasters (Ahem, Mary-Kate Olsen’s hair) I did not notice too many fashion missteps but rather an array of glamorous perfectly put together looks all worthy of the event they graced.
- Carey Mulligan in custom Prada
- Emma Stone in custom Lanvin
- Camilla Belle in Ralph Lauren Spring 2012
- Lana Del Rey in Altuzarra
- Karolina Kurkova in custom Rachel Zoe
- Gwyneth Paltrow in Prada
- Marion Cotillard in Christian Dior
- Kate Bosworth in custom Prada
- Nina Dobrev in custom Donna Karan
- Chanel Iman in Tom Ford fall 2012 with bonus Tom Ford looking dapper. I think I only included her because of him…
By the way, is anyone else loving the dramatic dark berry and chocolate lips that many attendees were donning?
- Vogue Japan
- May 2012
- Model: Anja Rubik
- Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
- Stylist: Anna dello Russo
- Wearing: Dior Haute Couture Spring 2012
I absolutely cannot even begin to describe how much I love this. You cannot show me the stunning Anja in my favourite haute couture collection of the past season in an editorial and then tell me it was photographed by Patrick Demarchelier and expect me not to swoon. Oh and it was styled by Anna? Ok, now you are just trying to kill me.
The cinched waists! The flared skirts! The 60s nod! Pinch me!
- Pop Magazine
- Spring/Summer 2012
- Model: Joan Smalls
- Photographer: Daniel Sannwald
- Stylist: Ansiem Reyle
- Featuring: Dior Couture pieces (past and present)
The embroidered patent and crocodile dress from the spring 2012 collection in the first cover is to die for.
By the way, I am absolutely in love with the collage and thermal effects used in the covers. I always look forward to seeing the covers of magazines like Pop and Love because they are always so fun and beautiful.
Here is a glimpse backstage at the Dior Spring 2012 Haute Couture show in Paris.
Let us take a moment to admire and appreciate the cinched waists, sheer tops and full, pleated skirts that absolutely dominated the runway during Dior’s Haute Couture Spring 2012 show.
Dior Spring 2012 Haute Couture: The exquisite old hollywood gowns.
Mila Kunis has been named the new face of Christian Dior’s “Miss Dior” handbag collection for the spring/summer 2012 campaign photographed by Mikael Jansson. I have always loved Mila and I am very much happy to see her represent a major brand. My only complaint is that they could have eased up on the photoshop a tad and by a tad I mean a lot. None the less she looks lovely.
(Image Source: tfs)