121 posts tagged my picks
- Zac Posen
- New York Fashion Week // Fall 2013
I always prefer Fall fashion over Spring because there are so many heavy, cozy materials, tons of layers and luxe, rich colours. If any one designer has embodied this so far during New York Fashion Week it would be a mister Zac Posen who summarized his collection as, “Maria Callas going to Argentina” and described it as anatomical and architectural.Of how New York has inspired him growing up Posen stated:
“My fantasies about glamour or about society, about travel, all took place here growing up in New York. When you drive by great historical backgrounds, this is where Halston did his first shows, where Oscar de la Renta used to show.”
After a busy few months taking on the role as a judge on Project Runway, Posen presented his smallest runway show in years and did not disappoint delivering the dramatic, beautiful gowns, and perfectly pretty cocktail dress that he has become widely known for.
Intricately crafted garments made of duchesse satin, silk faille ottoman jacquard, luxurious velvet, organza and tulle came in a palette of various jewel tones. As it always the focus was put on the silhouettes as well as draping, sharp cuts and creating that signature hour glass shape.
By presenting us with an exquisitely constructed collection wit a lack of ornate details he was able to prove that indeed sometimes less is more.
Red Carpet Fashion: The 2013 SAG Awards
As always here is my list of who, in my opinion, were the best dressed of the evening at the 2013 Screen Actor’s Guild Awards last night held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California.
Overall I felt a little underwhelmed, especially after last year’s exceptional looks from Emma Stone (In Alexander McQueen) and Zoe Saldana in (Givenchy Haute Couture). Alas there were some eye popping hues, sweet confections and couture straight off the runway from Paris. So lets get to it:
- After an ethereal showing in Givenchy Couture at The Golden Globes she took a dark glamourous turn and donned a Zac Posen Pre-Fall 2013 gown unconventionally paired with a long Lorraine Schwartz pendant necklace.
- Lets get this out of the way, I am disregarding her dip dyed hair because aside from that small misstep this was one of my favourite looks of the night. Lea chose a vibrant pink Valentino Resort 2013 gown with a strapless neckline paired with Jimmy Choo pumps. I love that she forwent her usual over the top sexy alter ego for such a sweet girlie look. One thing I wanted to point out about Lea is that she always just seems to feel really good in what she is wearing and look happy in it. I think that is an important point about fashion in general, no matter what list she ends up on she just really enjoys her time on the red carpet and therefore she just always looks amazing.
- This should be the standard for how all young ladies should dress for award shows. The Mad Men darling wore an Oscar de la Renta petal-pink embellished dress paired with Oscar de la Renta strappy peep toed pumps. Wavy, glossy locks and simple makeup with a natural pink lip shade completed the look.
- Now onto my red carpet darling who wore a stunning structured white gown from Rodarte. The look was accessorized with white python Christian Louboutin ‘Batignolles’ pumps and a metallic snakeskin Judith Leiber clutch. I could go on as always about how much I adored this look and why but I will spare you this time.
- Finally someone wearing Marchesa, I was wondering when the red carpet favourite would make an appearance and I could not be happier. The strapless silver metallic embroidered, crystal embellished, figure hugging gown fit like a glove and managed not to completely wash out the fair skinned star. Faberge jewels, Christian Louboutin satin ‘Angelique’ heels and a hot pink lip completed this glamourous look.
- Well, she may have showed up on the red carpet sans her best male accessory
*cough* Ian Somerhalder *cough*but she still managed to stun as always. Nina, like Lea Michele chose a vibrant hued pink gown, but instead of going adorably girlie she went the sexy route donning an Elie Saab Spring 2013 confection. Accessorizing with beautiful drop earring and a Judith Leiber clutch this is another eye popping look that tops my list.
- After reviewing the Giambattisa Valli Spring 2013 Couture collection last week this was definitely one of my top gowns that I wanted to see straight off the runway and on the red carpet this season. The crystal embroidered corset top featured a sheer top panel and full tulle skirt. The looked was completed with Jimmy Choo ‘Kalpa’ peep toes and an Edie Parker clutch. Anne managed to look feminine while remaining sophisticated with her feathery short do’ and bright pink hued lip.
Red Carpet Fashion: Misses that could have been Hits
Every awards show there are a few ladies who show up looking absolutely stunning and deserve to be on everyones best dressed list, but they don’t, why? This is because they make one big mistake, maybe it is the hair or makeup, or maybe a dress has been altered for them which does not quiet translate.
At this years SAG Awards there were two ladies that fit those categories respectively. Kaley Cuoco wore an adorable vibrant red, ankle length Romona Keveza Spring 2013 gown with an architectural bodice that she paired with ruby satin pumps and a ruby-stone clutch. Now let us all draw our attention upwards to her serious case of helmut hair shall we? It is terrible how much it kills such a youthful and elegant look.
Next up is Marion Cotillard who chose a Christian Dior Pre-Fall 2013 gown that was paired with black pumps and Chopard jewels. Yes, she looks lovely but sadly I had already fallen in love with the original ballooned hooped coral skirt, capped sleeved version of the gown so in my opinion the strapless midnight-blue reinterpretation is very underwhelming.
What did you think of these two looks? Did you love them or hate them?
- Maison Martin Margiela Haute Couture
- Paris Couture Week // Spring 2013
Models clad in Margiela’s signature cloth beaded, embellished masks strutted down the runway at this seasons couture show in garments that seemed to take us on a trip throughout the past century by pulling from elements found in the 20’s, 50’s and 70’s. Unlike other labels couture shows that we have seen this season, the anonymous team behind Margiela strays from the seemingly traditional gown heavy collections.
The show began with long, tulle draped, artistically beaded column dresses reminiscent of the flapper girls that ruled during the years of prohibition and segued into fun sleeveless, collared, shorter frocks. The design team then took a sharp turn and paraded vibrated, tropical feathered tops, foil like ruffles and fun electric florals. The show wrapped with pongee silk coats with metallic orange, blue, yellow and silver wrappers sewn in, definitely something that front row spectators Raf Simons, Nicola Formichetti and Kanye West probably had their eyes on.
Overall many people seem to have disliked this collection saying it was ‘uninspired’ and ‘messy’. Although it did not entirely live up to my expatiations for a couture collection I do feel that there were many stand out looks that I could see the likes of Zoe Saldana and Michelle Williams donning on the red carpet.
What did you think of Maison Martin Margiela’s Haute Couture offerings this season? Was it a hit or a miss?
- Valentino Haute Couture
- Paris Couture Week // Spring 2013
When I was very young I remember the first time I turned on Fashion Television the first runway show I ever saw on the show was a special anniversary collection celebrating Valentino Garavani and his iconic ‘Valentino Red’. For years I would refer to deep lipstick red hues as ‘Valentino Red’ and I would feel instantly like I was much more sophisticated than my friends. At the time in my mind there was nothing more ladylike than a Valentino creation and to this day whenever I see one of his gowns sashaying down the runway it feels magical. The collections always managed to exude an effortless, light, ethereal elegance that not many other labels of this calibre have been able to quite capture. It is this reason that I most look forward to seeing the Valentino Haute Couture show as we are delivered plenty of gowns to satisfy our visual appetites and feed our imaginations.
This season designers at the helm, Pierpaolo Piccioli and Maria Grazia Chiuri have delivered yet another collection consisting of ball and red carpet worthy gowns and pretty little dresses that woman around the world may only dream of wearing.
Above I posted exclusively gowns for my own pleasure but I encourage you to view the collection in its entirety here.
- Chanel Haute Couture
- Paris Couture Week // Spring 2013
Whenever Paris Couture Week rolls around one of the most anticipated shows of the week has to be Chanel. From the style savvy crowd it attracts to the ever changing exciting runway displays to the couture itself, Karl Lagerfeld always leaves us wanting more and hungry for his next collection.
This season was no different providing us with powdery white, black, pastel purple and pink confections with pops of red, yellow and green and plenty of covetable accessories. When I first looked through the collection the first thing I thought of was a ‘Victoriana Clockwork Orange’ with a modern edge brought on by bouts of leather and sequin embellishments. One of my favourite pieces was an off the shoulder, floor length, white lace dress with a black ribbon halter neckline. Some other stand out numbers included two floaty chiffon, off the shoulder, girlie as can be gowns with balloon skirts and paired with lace peep toed boots.
Thank you Karl for blessing us with this whimsical, feathery fairytale.
- Giambattista Valli Haute Couture
- Paris Couture Week // Spring 2013
One of my favourite parts about award season is seeing my favourite creations from the past year on the red carpet and discovering which of my predictions made their debut. When Paris Couture Week rolls around there is always that added excitement that a piece directly from Couture Week could end up on the red carpet right away as seen last year when Zoe Saldana wore a Givenchy Couture creation flown straight over from Paris for the SAG Awards.
This week has barely begun to show us what it has to offer and already with the presentation Monday of Giambattista Valli’s Haute Couture collection I can already pick out pieces that I would love to see on some young starlets at the week’s SAG Awards and even the Academy Awards in February. The entire collection was comprised of spectacular couture creations executed with precision and finished off with the most dazzling accessories that complimented the looks perfectly.
With a colour palette of violet, blush, canary yellow, pearlescent white and black with metallic accents the collection took on a very ethereal feel. Most of the dresses, no matter how short or how long, featured exaggerated hips and many were accented with belts that had a metallic Grecian, feathered look. To complete the looks models faces were left bare and their hair left down and unkept but many were adorned with metallic floral hair pieces that were simply divine to say the least. Keeping with the look of the hair pieces the jewelry comprised of statement necklaces and cuffs featuring the same delicate flowers that because of the heavy metallic materials were truly anything but.
What pieces from Paris Couture Week would you love to see on a red carpet this season?
UpClose: details at Christian Dior Haute Couture Spring 2013 at Paris Couture Week.
- Christian Dior
- Pre-Fall 2013
Pre-fall collections as a whole tend to be a test, a run through of ideas, trends and styles that make way for designers full scale fall collections. To me they are always an exciting treat to wet the whistles of the masses until we get our first glimpses of what we are to be shown in February. I also love that all of the looks are expertly styled and executed and neatly laid out into look books to be fawned over.
For Raf Simons first pre-fall 2013 collection for Christian Dior he did not disappoint in making me very excited to see his presentation during this coming fashion week.
With a fresh take on the brands notable sophistication and this seasons suit trend he manages to stay true to the Dior name. The menswear-inspired silhouettes are tailored close to the body and tapered at the foot for a streamlined look and maintaining that feminine feel. Juxtaposed he also featured wide legged, loose pants but both the streamlined and loose pants were pull together by the signature Dior Bar jacket.
Some looks were given a fun edge by artistically exaggerating draping and swathing of grey flannel around the waists and dropping to the ground and paired with pant suits and simple tee’s. A based colour palette of black and white was used with pops of coral, grey, dark indigo and olive green while infusing traditional fall patterns of houndstooth, cross-hatched tweed and Prince de Galle.
Overall there seems to be a distinctive change in the Dior house brought upon by Raf, the feminine line which is often dominated by pretty cocktail and evening dresses has been given its edge and seen the light anew in a modern woman.
Red Carpet Fashion: The Golden Globes
Last night there were many stand out ladies that donned some very stunning gowns that were styled with pretty impeccable execution.
However no one seemed to stand out like auburn haired beauty Julianne Moore. As a long time muse of Tom Ford and star of his directorial debut, ‘A Single Man’, she of course was lucky enough to wear one of his own creations. The black and white gown itself was very simple and minimalistic with a streamlined silhouette and featured a sexy open draped back. She accessorized with Bvlgari jewels and an embossed box clutch. Her hair was pulled back into a tight, side swept undo and her makeup was left very simple all completing and complimenting such an elegant look.
Who was your pick for best dressed?
Red Carpet Fashion: The 70th Golden Globe Awards
Last night was The 70th annual Golden Globe Awards, which fashion aside tends to be my favourite awards show of the season. I loved the more relaxed vibe with the round tables and drinks flowing. Overall the celebrities seem to be having a lot more fun, this could be due to the flowing drinks but nevertheless. The year The Golden Globe Awards completely knocked out the competition and was most definitely the best one in years, this was largely in part due to hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler who were funny, quick and a joy to watch. Honourable humorous mentions go to Sasha Baron Cohen who with a drink in hand while he dissed his co stars and Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell’s bit as well as Jennifer Lawrence and Adele’s adorable and funny winning speeches.
Now to the part I always love the most, the beautiful gowns of the Globes. Here are my picks for the ladies that stood out the most this year in a good way (excluding my pick for best dressed of the evening).
- Dons a Christian Dior Fall 2012 Couture gown which is not surprising as she is the new face of Dior. Her red carpet hued gown was accented by simply a metallic belt and box clutch.
- Choose a gown from Oscar de la Renta’s Pre-Fall 2013 collection and paired it with a Harry Winston diamond bib necklace and Roger Vivier ‘Pochette Prisme Poodle’ clutch. Unlike Nicole Richie, Jessica managed to make matching her makeup to her gown not look weird. I could have done without the bling but overall she looked stunning.
- Wore a nude, semi-sheer embellished Miu Miu dress paired with Prada pointy toed pumps and a Prada satin clutch. I think that Kerry may officially be one of my favourite woman to watch on the red carpet this year after all of her fantastic looks during her promo tour for ‘Django Unchained’. I cannot wait to see what she wear to the Oscars.
- Now, a lot of people were not a fan of this floral print Carolina Herrera Pre-Fall 2013 ball gown but I for one think it is simply amazing. The fit makes her tiny waist look amazing, the ski blue hue against her skin is beautiful and her fishtail braid over her shoulder compliments the look perfectly.
- Wore a floor length Givenchy Couture custom-made gown in a nude hue with sheer lace panels paired with long light waves and simple makeup. I love how ethereal she looks after all of the edgy dramatic appearances she has made as of late.
- I am not the biggest fan of Anne, but when it comes to the red carpet she rarely disappoints. This year she wore a winter white Chanel Couture piece from the Spring 2006 collection. Of wearing Chanel she was quoted as saying that she “feels like herself” in Chanel. Must be nice Anne.
- Finally Tina Fey has brought it and looks 100% put together for a red carpet and when it counted to most. The brunette half of the hosting team for this years show wore a custom L’Wren Scott cream silk dress with black Chantilly lace embroidery and a scalloped hemline. The look was accessorized by a Roger Vivier clutch and Ferragamo black pumps.
Let us take a moment to appreciate the lovely gowns from Oscar de la Renta’s pre-fall 2013 collection.
I have received a lot of messages over the past year asking about what I wear makeup wise and what I would recommend. I plan on eventually making a video and showing you guys how I wear my day to day makeup etc but for now here is a little peek at my current day to day.
Not pictured above: I solely use my Naked Palette by Urban Decay with any old liquid liner. I also darken my very pale eyebrows with Tarte’s EmphasEYES pencil.
Picture above: NARS ‘Orgasm” blush, Dior Lip Glow colour reviver balm, Benefit BADgal lash, andL’ORÉAL’S BB cream in ‘Fair’. I swear by L’ORÉAL’S BB cream and have managed to get a lot of my friends onto it as well.
Red Carpet Fashion: I have been obsessed with Les Misérables eversince I can remember so it is no surprise that I simply cannot wait until the newest feature film is released this month starring Amanda Seyfried, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathway. I remember when I first saw the trailer for the film and heard Anne Hathaway singing “I Dreamed a Dream” as Fantine I instantly began tearing up.
Now enough about the movie and more about the stunning looks Anne Hathaway has been rocking at various premieres and events this past week for the film.
The first look (which is also her most recent look) pictured above was donned at the Les Misérables New York premiere and a daring one it was. Outfitted in a stand out Tom Ford spring 2013 dress and Tom Ford knee high bondage like boots, Anne took a risk that definitely payed off.
The second photo shows her at The Roundhouse in Camden in London for the after party following the world premiere of Les Misérables wearing a spring 2013 dress from Altuzarra accessorized with her custom Casadei midnight-blue satin pumps and a gold Jill Milan 450 Sutter clutch.
In the third photo she wore a dress from The Row’s spring 2013 collection to the Les Misérables screening after party held at Porterhouse in New York City.
Lastly shown is her red carpet look for the premiere of Les Misérables in London. Anne wore a halter Givenchy Couture gown from the spring 2012 collection that some loved and some hated.
So what do you think of Anne’s looks thus far for Les Misérables events? What were your favourite looks?
Red Carpet Fashion: Is it weird that I was scrolling through red carpet images on my phone, saw this photo and then could not wait to get home and post it simply because it was of the love of my life?
Yes, Emma Stone is the love of my life and if you read my blog regularly you would know this seeing as she appears on here at least once a week.
Here she is at the 2012 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Awards in New York City last night wearing a Burberry Prorsum Spring 2013 look. The straight off the runway navy-blue satin bustier top and emerald green sequinned pencil skirt was paired with black Louboutin heels. Her look was completed with natural makeup and light bouncy straight locks.